Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Some Quick Summer Meal Ideas

Summertime means time to put those big ceramic pots on the shelf, and use the freshest produce in the simplest ways possible! Here are a few recipes I've used to get summer started.

Veggie Kebabs!
Since we are still in the throws of apartment life, we do not own a BBQ. I do, however, own a George Foreman Grill, which has been put to use regularly on these warmer summer days. Pictured above are some quick veggie kebabs - tofu, mushrooms, peppers, onions and tomatoes marinated in garlic, ginger, and soy sauce before being 'grilled'. Easy, light and tasty - especially when served with some sliced avocado with sea salt and basmati rice (my new favorite) with chopped fresh parsley. They are also pretty!


A lovely light breakfast
I found an adorable 'demi baguette' at the Breadfarm stand at the Farmer's Market. It was the perfect size for two and only $1.50! I decided to use it for a breakfast inspired by the breakfasts I had in Paris when I visited. I was 17, and was enchanted by the simplicity and quality of the food. This is actually a little more elaborate than I had at the hotel, but c'est la vie!
Menu
Sliced 'demi' baguette
fresh butter
goat cheese
homemade raspberry jam
cantelope
coffee
This is truly lovely on a morning when temperatures are climbing quickly!


Upside-down Taco Salad!
OK, so really it's nachos. We had taco salad the night before, and I was planning on just serving the same thing, but then I decided to try to use the same ingredients in a new format. So instead of putting tortilla chips on top, I started with them on the bottom. I learned how to make great nachos in college - nachos with the works! So I used some of those tricks in this recipe:

Corn tortilla chips, spread with refried black beans
Pepper Jack cheese
sliced olives and green onions
corn
Put those in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or so (hint: lining the baking sheet with foil makes clean-up super quick)

Then top with...
a squeeze of lime juice
a dash of chili powder
shredded lettuce
salsa
fake sour cream (in my case)

And drink with...
cold beer

Summer food is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment